Do you make grants for just a summer term or one semester?

No, Blakemore Freeman Fellowships are awarded only for a full academic year of study.

I can't access the online application portal - the window times out every time I attempt to log on.

Please contact us by email so we can assist you. Some locations are blocked from access.

Which language programs are eligible for grants?

For Japanese, we fund study at the Inter-University Center for Japanese Language Studies in Yokohama, Japan. We do not fund Japanese language study at any other institution.

For Chinese, we fund study at the Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies at Tsinghua University in Beijing and at the International Chinese Language Program at National Taiwan University in Taipei. We do not fund Chinese language study at any other institution.

For Korean, we fund study at Seoul National University, Sogang University or the Inter-University Center for Korean Language Studies at Sungkyunkwan University but will consider study at other language programs in South Korea on a case-by-case basis during the application review process.

Approval of language programs for study of languages of SE Asia will be considered on an individual basis during the application review process.

What will I need for my application?

You will need to prepare the following:
a list of all classes or training you have undertaken in your chosen language
a list of any academic or professional honors you have been awarded
a curriculum vitae or resume in pdf format
a personal essay, three to four pages in length, double-spaced, in PDF format, detailing your career path and goals, as well as explaining your interest in the Asian language you are studying

You will also need to ask two professors or other professional contacts to write letters of recommendation on your behalf. We recommend that you contact your recommenders in advance of sending the automated request from the online application form.

It is your responsibility to make sure that you order transcripts from all previous institutions that have granted you a degree to be sent to us. Please place your order with your schools as early as possible to ensure that transcripts arrive before the application deadline. Official electronic transcripts are preferred, but official paper transcripts will be accepted.

I haven't decided whether I want to attend the IUP-Tsinghua or the ICLP language program. May I list both programs on my application?

Applicants may list only one language program on their application.

Do I have to be admitted by my language program first before applying for a Blakemore Freeman Fellowship?

No, you do not have to been admitted to the language school in order to submit an application for a Fellowship from us by our December 30 deadline. But you will need to apply to the language school by its own separate application deadline.

May I defer my grant for a year?

For grants to be awarded in the spring of 2019, most will start in the fall term. But in all cases, study must start between June 2019 and May 2020, as limited by the start dates of the language program involved. For example, a grant for Japanese at the Inter-University Center in Yokohama must start in fall 2019. A grant for the International Chinese Language Program in Taiwan may start in the fall, winter or spring terms of the 2019/2020 academic year and continue for 3 quarters. A grant for study at the Inter-University Program for Chinese Language Studies at Tsinghua University may run from fall 2019 through the end of their spring term, or in extraordinary circumstances, may start in their spring 2020 term and continue through their summer 2020 term.

Am I eligible to apply for a Blakemore language grant? I have received my bachelor's degree, but I'm not in graduate school right now.

Yes, you may apply. Applicants do not need to be in graduate school.

I would like to a grant which starts after completing my master's degree. I will not be enrolled in a Ph.D. program. Am I eligible to apply?

Yes, you may apply. Applicants do not need to be affiliated with a college or university.

May a college senior apply for a grant?

The majority of our applicants have completed undergraduate study and are either pursuing post-graduate study or are working in a profession or business. A senior in college who will receive an undergraduate degree before the start date of the language program may apply, but it is rare for a senior to be offered a grant. One or more years of graduate school or work or study abroad after graduation enhance an applicant's chance of success.

Do I need to send in the Foreign Language Reference Form?

The Foreign Language Reference Form is only submitted under special circumstances, normally by individuals who have studied primarily outside of a formal academic setting. If by the start of your grant you will not have completed the equivalent of 3rd year language classes (300 level) at the college level, either through classes taken at university or in combination with study-abroad programs, please email to discuss your situation.

I have been working abroad since I received my B.A. I would like to improve my language before graduate school. Can I apply for a grant?

Yes, you may apply. Applicants do not need to be currently enrolled in graduate school or living in the United States. However, you may encounter difficulties accessing the on line application portal. If so, please contact us by email so we can provide an alternative.

Can a foreign student with an F-1 student visa apply for a grant?

Regretfully, no. Applicants be must be either a U.S. citizen or have a U.S. permanent resident visa (i.e., "green card or immigrant").

Is the college or university an applicant attended a selection criteria?

We have awarded fellowships to individuals with degrees from a wide variety of schools. While a large number of grants have gone to graduates of institutions with extensive Asian studies programs, the qualifications of the applicant are of more importance.

We encourage applicants to contact us if they have any further questions.